27 Nov 2012

A SCAFFOLDING AS X-MAS TREE IN BRUSSELS




Each year on the Grand' Place in Brussels, a beautiful Christmas tree is erected with lights and Christmas decorations. Usually the day where the tree arrives, people are gathered there just to watch how the huge tree will be put up. For years the tree was a gift from Finland and later it came from the Belgian Ardennes.



Like this one. In the evenings there is a sound and light show and with the old buildings the place looks very christmassy and young and old enjoy it very much.

However this year, the City of Brussels (I wonder who had this "glorious" idea) is installing an electronic Christmas tree at the Grand-Place: the 'Xmas 3' ! This awful looking "Christmas tree"??? looks like a metallic scaffolding and you need to have a lot of phantasy to imagine it as even only a tree, not to speak about a Christmas tree ! 

This 'Xmas 3' horror is a 24 meter high monumental electronic thing, made of steel, covered with wood and a screen. For 4 euros, visitors can climb the installation during the day. The collected money of these visits will go to an organization which helps the homeless, which at least is a Christmas gesture !

When I arrived at the Grand'Place, I almost jumped out of my shoes !



I saw this, which reminded me of a scaffold ready to hold up a building !



The white boxes are supposed to be the Christmas light bulbs !



You really get a christmassy disgusted feeling when you see the foot of the so said tree !



I walked several times around this "beauty" trying to see a tree in it but the more I looked the more I got furious !



What has this to do with Christmas ??



If they want to built modern art scaffoldings, they should do it on roundabouts but not putting such a thing in the middle of an historic place !







There is not much more to say, now this thing stands up, protesting failed, apparently Belgium has no economical crisis, because this beauty only costs around 45.000 € (58.300 $ !) that's at least what I have been told by other shocked Belgians !

Now maybe that some people like this kind of "Christmas tree". I prefer the traditional one, cut in the woods and which have this special Christmas smell. 

14 comments:

  1. How unusual. Perhaps it looks better lit up at night?

    I do like your shots of the traditional tree better though...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The tree is looking worse and worse. It's not finished yet is it? I like tradition. I hope the Finns don't have hurt feelings because Brussels rejected their tree this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a waste of good money! nothing like a traditional Xmas decoration. And helping those in need with public funds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting idea!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm ... I'm not quite sure what to make of your new Christmas tree. No pretty bulbs or the smell of pine needles. It doesn't quite go with the pretty buildings in the background. Don't get me wrong as I'm all for helping the homeless, but come on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh but it is horrible :( Why go people have to take something which was good and turn it into a monstrosity for the sake of being 'modern'?

    ReplyDelete
  7. That has to be the worst imitation Xmas tree I have ever seen. 3 years ago I came to Brussels to see the square at xmas and it was beautiful. We watched the sound and light show and looked at the beautiful Nativity scene just by the Xmas tree. I am so pleased I didn't come this year. I would have been so disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That has to be the worst imitation Xmas tree I have ever seen. 3 years ago I came to Brussels to see the square at xmas and it was beautiful. We watched the sound and light show and looked at the beautiful Nativity scene just by the Xmas tree. I am so pleased I didn't come this year. I would have been so disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope it looks better lit up at night.
    But I agree. What a horrible tree.

    They should plant a real big one in the square and just light it up every Christmas. This way it is also a heritage tree.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's a sore sight for eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. May be it will look better once completed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are right, Gattina,
    It is hideous.
    Maybe this is how to keep people home and not do so much shopping.

    Despite this, have a GREAT week.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree. We have wires with lights on our town square - quite pretty when it's lit but boring when it's not (and it mostly isn't) and NOTHING like a Christmas tree!

    ReplyDelete

Dear Anonymous,
Please do not be shy and leave your name, otherwise you will end up in the bin !